[lbo-talk] Roy on Indian election

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sun May 16 15:15:33 PDT 2004

kjkhoo at softhome.net wrote:

> Having just been churning some numbers around on our elections, I'm
curious --

What was it like in Malaysia? Any major shifts in voting pattern?

> If we leave aside the solid Congress and BJP areas -- if there are
> such areas -- what was it like elsewhere? Was there any discernible
> swing?

I haven't been able to see all numbers, but relatively small swings in votes produce disportionate changes in the ultimate results, if one is able to form the right kind of alliance.

> What about if you rank the areas by GDP or some other measure?

This is intuitive, but there is unlikely to be a clear correlation between GDP and the election results.

> Ditto with the Left parties.

Indian Left parties haven't really grown in last 25 years.

Ulhas