[lbo-talk] Only synagogue in Tajikistan may be demolished

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 04:38:39 PDT 2004

May 17 2004 11:44AM Only synagogue in Tajikistan may be demolished DUSHANBE. May 17 (Interfax) - Tajikistan's only synagogue, which stands in the center of the capital Dushanbe, should be removed in the near future, the head of the Jewish community in Tajikistan, Boris Mashoyev, told Interfax on Monday.

The synagogue is doomed to demolition by plans to build a new presidential residence, known as the Palace of Nations, he said. "The letters we received from the authorities require us to clear the territory where the Palace of Nations is being built by the end of July," he said.

The synagogue was built at the end of the 19th century. City authorities have offered the Jewish community several sites for building a new one.

"We cannot afford to build a new synagogue, and therefore suggest leaving the old one in its place, and reconstructing it to fit the Palace of Nations compound," Mashoyev said.

Talks with Dushanbe Mayor Makhamdsaid Ubaidullayev will continue, Moshoyev said. <>