[lbo-talk] Hersh: How a secret Pentagon program came to Abu Ghraib.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 17 07:13:52 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

>On Sunday, May 16, 2004, at 10:19 AM, snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>
>>who's going to grass it?
>>
>What I mean is that the Bushies and their media allies will go after
>him with a vengeance to destroy his credibility: "This guy Hersh
>makes things up -- nobody should believe him."

Outside of a few loony circles, like Free Republic and now apparently Counterpunch, Hersh has lots of credibility. Journalists and "opinion leaders" take him very seriously. Richard Perle called him a "terrorist"* and threatened to sue him, but Hersh's charges stuck, Perle resigned from the Defense Policy Board, and there was no lawsuit. The Bushies would be severely disadvantaged in a credibility fight with Hersh.

Doug

----

* Exact wording: "Sy Hersh is the closest thing American journalism has to a terrorist, frankly...." <http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0303/09/le.00.html>