[lbo-talk] Hersh: How a secret Pentagon program came to Abu Ghraib.

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon May 17 09:54:52 PDT 2004

On Monday, May 17, 2004, at 10:13 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> The Bushies would be severely disadvantaged in a credibility fight
> with Hersh.

Let's hope so! If the Bush administration, Fox News, etc., really bore down on him, how would his credibility with Ms/Mr. Average American hold up?

On Monday, May 17, 2004, at 10:15 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> We can, but that ain't happening soon. So, please tell me, who'd do
> this police work that Cockburn and Chomsky talked about? Now, today,
> in the real world?

I'm not too good at strategizing this "real world policing" stuff, but *today* (Monday 5/17/04), I suppose it would be the "coalition of the willing." Who else?

If you were willing to look a bit further ahead than midnight tonight, Kerry, if he won in November, might be able to patch together a broader coalition, and show enough respect for world opinion to allow the U.S. component of it to abide by generally accepted international norms of conduct, maybe de-emphasizing the military aspect and somewhat boosting the Interpol aspect. But I'm not too excited by this idea.

However, I'd like to defend my proposal that people think about a real, democratically controlled UN, or something similar. I don't think anyone can really say they are working for peace (which most people, left, right, or center, say) unless they are looking toward getting rid of national armed forces. Armies have been fighting wars for several thousand years, and unless they are somehow taken out of the picture, they will continue to do so indefinitely, IMHO. I'm afraid that we don't have another few thousand years to solve this problem, so we need to get going on it now.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax