[lbo-talk] Hersh: How a secret Pentagon program came to Abu Ghraib

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon May 17 08:51:46 PDT 2004

I think it's clear what stood in the way of going after the perpetrators of 9/11 by means of "a police operation conducted under the auspices of the UN on behalf of the international community as a whole, against a criminal conspiracy, whose members should be hunted down and brought before an international court" -- as historian Michael Howard (among others) suggested. It wasn't the lack of a police force.

Assume that, in the fall of 2001, forces from UNOTKIDN (UN Office for Terrorist Kinesis, Informatics, and Dire Noetics -- headed by three generals, a Brazilian, an Iranian, and an Indian) demands the extradition of Osama bin Laden from Afghanistan and that the Taliban replies (as they did) that they want evidence of of ObL's involvement, and that he be tried before Muslim judges. UNOTKIDN provides the evidence, establishes the court, and ObL and his lieutenants in Afghanistan are delivered up for trial, convicted, and imprisoned (UNOTKIDN troops' aiding in the arrest, if necessary).

The Bush administration loses its War on Terrorism and hence its excuse for seizing Iraq; it is reduced to bleating that "there might be other bin Ladens out there" -- with some justice, because the grievances that produced al Qaeda (Iraq sanctions, Palestinian oppression, US-backed right-wing governments in the oil states) still exist. But the emergency that covered the Bushies' vicious incompetence is gone, along with the fear that they were able to generate in the US populace. --CGE