[lbo-talk] Hersh: How a secret Pentagon program came to Abu Ghraib.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 17 10:28:05 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>It is strange that the people who complain about left writing being dull
>are the same as those who argue that the left's message should consist
>of content which no one outside the left will ever read. If the
>municipal water supply were polluted, we would demand clean water, and
>if the reply was a demand that we explain the necessary technology our
>answer would be go fuck yourself -- that's your job.

This is the juvenile reaction of someone who's just done nothing but complain and demand his whole life and never actually had to do anything. In those rare moments when a left movement has achieved power, its leaders turn to each other and say, "Uh, what the fuck do we do now?" Even short of taking power, you'd have no answer to someone who asked, "Ok, wiseguy, what would you do?" Responding "That's not for me to decide" won't cut any mustard. But your position that the point of political agitation isn't to convince the unconvinced is well known. And damned convenient, considering.

Doug