[lbo-talk] Interesting article on the irrelevance of Abu Ghraibto Iraqis

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 03:25:19 PDT 2004

>From: Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org>
>
>snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>
>>People are disagreeing with your glib, "Fuck the Troops" since your glib
>>"Fuck the Troops" doesn't convey what you mean, above. (Harry was
>>responding to your FIRST comment, "Fuck the Troops." not to your attempt
>>to explain yourself.
>>
>>Disagreeing with your glib little quote is just that: disagreement. They
>>are not liberals because they disagree with you.
>
>No, they are liberals because they just can't come out and say that they
>oppose the war without wrapping it up in the red, white and blue
>chickenshit "We support our troops."
>
>I'm going to make glib remarks and I'm going to say uncomfortable things
>because that is my role as an anarchist. People don't respect the antiwar
>movement because it can't just say why it opposes the war without resorting
>to defensive rhetoric like "We support our troops." The more radical
>anti-war activists deride the peaceniks who wave thos red, white and blue
>signs around.

Why not just say, "Fuck the Pentagon"? It gets across the same point w/o blowing off enlistees who might agree with your overall POV. Enlistees, after all, are both perps *and* victims -- a point Naomi Klein makes well in her Guardian column today: "The torturers of Abu Ghraib were McWorkers who ended up in Iraq because they could no longer find decent jobs at home." <http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1218981,00.html>

At the same time, I would not recommend that the left try to appropriate the slogan, "We support our troops" -- which at some level does connote indiscriminate support for the US war machine. I think the left's using that slogan is as fatuous as the left's trying to appropriate US flag-waving -- which a number of LBOers recommended right after 9/11. A this point in history, I don't think the left has any reason at all to wave the US flag. You don't have to burn the damn thing, but wave it? Never.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/