[lbo-talk] More on A.Roy

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue May 18 07:32:05 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>>feeling is that she wants to hog limelight and by her writings and
>>statements try to create contoversies so that she may be in the
>>headflines. Otherwise look at her track record of supporting any
>

> That is what peddlers of intellectual commodities do, no? How is that
> different from what most US intellectuals do?

Roy is only hogging the spotlight to the extent to which the Left puts her and other writers on pedestals. The Left has its own echo chamber where famous writers are continually elevated to the status of "leader" by our media. Why is it that our "leaders" are writers? Noam Chomsky has pointed out numerous times that the work he does could be done by anybody, yet we continue to elevate Chomsky to the status of left superstar. It's gotten to the point where we've sucked the life out of the poor guy.

Roy is a good writer. She has something interesting to say. But being a good writer shouldn't make her a leader, when we have so many bright and talented people in our social change movements who get no attention because they don't write books.

Chuck0