[lbo-talk] More on A.Roy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 18 08:07:59 PDT 2004

Chuck0 wrote:

>Roy is only hogging the spotlight to the extent to which the Left
>puts her and other writers on pedestals. The Left has its own echo
>chamber where famous writers are continually elevated to the status
>of "leader" by our media. Why is it that our "leaders" are writers?
>Noam Chomsky has pointed out numerous times that the work he does
>could be done by anybody, yet we continue to elevate Chomsky to the
>status of left superstar. It's gotten to the point where we've
>sucked the life out of the poor guy.

Judging from the way the two make the phones ring during WBAI fundraisers, they're in a class by themselves. Roy, however, leaves even Chomsky in the dust - I've never seen anything like the way she makes the phone board light up. There's a way in which she plays a left version of the Native Informant - the emotional Third World woman, the passionate opposite to Western instrumental rationality - that should make people more uncomfortable than it does.

Doug