[lbo-talk] Nader Brings Clarity to An Issue That Troubles Many Democrats

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 20 08:15:20 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Nader falls for Kerry charm
>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Thu May 20 06:30:57 PDT 2004
<snip>
>New York Times - May 20, 2004
>Kerry Woos Nader, Who Deems Him 'Very Presidential'
>By DAVID M. HALBFINGER
<snip>
>"He [Kerry] said something like, `We all have to do what we have to
>do,' and he's not challenging anybody's right," Mr. Nader said. "In
>that sense he's way ahead of his advisers."
<snip>
>Mr. Nader then said he was alluding not just to Mr. Kerry's aides
>but to a new allied Democratic group, announced on Wednesday, called
>the National Progress Fund, whose stated purpose is to entice Mr.
>Nader's supporters into the party by promising to help push many of
>their issues throughout the campaign.

That's an admission on the part of the Kerry camp that Nader bashing not only hasn't worked but has probably been counter-productive, pushing Nader supporters further away from the Democratic Party. They obviously have to switch gears.

About the same Nader-Kerry meeting, the Washington Post has this to say:

"Democratic strategist James Carville told reporters at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast yesterday that Nader brings clarity to an issue that troubles many Democrats. 'Nader has a simple thing he's saying: bring the troops home,' he said. 'It's easy to understand'" (Dan Balz and Jim VandeHei, "Kerry, Nader Meet and Go Separate Ways," <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41036-2004May19.html>).

That's the crux of the issue. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>