[lbo-talk] Orientalists and Islamists

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 22 11:48:31 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>What do such facts have to do with torture, though? Even if the
>tortured individuals at Abu Ghraib had been all flaming drag queens
>and professional strippers from San Francisco who are into S/M in
>their free time, their rape, torture, and murder would be as much of
>an outrage as the rape, torture, and murder of Abu Ghraib Iraqi
>detainees (some of whom, for all you know, may be liberal gay men
>like Salam Pax) is.

Of course it's an outrage. It's fucking awful. What really does that have to do with whether Islam, or versions of Islam, oppresses women? Versions of Christianity and Judaism oppress women too. Are we not allowed to criticize Islam, or versions of Islam, because some hypocritical Christers do too? I'm sure you'd thrive in Saudi Arabia.

Doug