[lbo-talk] more nonvoters

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Sun May 23 20:46:26 PDT 2004

Shane Mage:

> By the way, does anyone have an answer yet
> to my question

I answered it earlier today:

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040517/011247.html

Chuck Munson writes:

> And I just got done talking to an anarchist from
> Gainesville, Florida about the activist scene there.

Munson's word choice here is revealing, I think. So long as we continue to conceive of activism as a "scene" or a quaint subcultural niche, we will get nowhere. If I recall correctly, Chuck has at least been explicit in the past that he doesn't really believe in mass organizing and thinks that tiny cells of people acting-out are the way to go (my genuine apologies to Chuck if I'm oversimplifying, but that's certainly been my impression). I think that's a silly position, though Chuck is at least honest about it. The rest of us, however, would do well to think about how we can be more outward-focused rather than inward-looking. We need to organize the unorganized.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!