[lbo-talk] more nonvoters

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun May 23 21:47:39 PDT 2004

John Lacny wrote:

> Munson's word choice here is revealing, I think. So long as we continue to
> conceive of activism as a "scene" or a quaint subcultural niche, we will get
> nowhere. If I recall correctly, Chuck has at least been explicit in the past
> that he doesn't really believe in mass organizing and thinks that tiny cells
> of people acting-out are the way to go (my genuine apologies to Chuck if I'm
> oversimplifying, but that's certainly been my impression). I think that's a
> silly position, though Chuck is at least honest about it. The rest of us,
> however, would do well to think about how we can be more outward-focused
> rather than inward-looking. We need to organize the unorganized.

Once again. Lacny misrepresents my views, because he doesn't like my politics.

Using the word "scene" is just another way of saying "activist community." In other words, the activists that live in Gainesville, Florida. I have no interests in creating subcultural niches, but I understand from my many years of successful organizing that there are many ingredients that go into creating a base for loal activists to organize.

I don't recall ever saying that I supported "tiny cells of people acting-out are the way to go." Cells of people acting together are an essential ingredient of social change. And those people belong to greater communities, both of activists and non-activists. Most of my life has been devoted to organizing the unorganized. I'm good at this and enjoy it. However, I reject "mass" organizing because I reject the leftist use of the word "mass," which essentially leads to small cells of people thinking that they can "lead" this reification of working people called "the masses."

I organize people, not masses. I do this very well. :-p

Chuck0