[lbo-talk] A 'Progressive Conference'

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon May 24 10:56:45 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> Moveon sucks. They are just a front group for the Democratic Party.
>> It's a shame that Doug feels compelled to rise to their defense.
>

> I'm not defending their politics - it's pretty standard issue DP stuff.
> But they've mobilized a lot of people, and we should be stealing their
> organzing model instead of filing obvious and bitchy remarks about them,
> a la Brad M.

I think that Brad's attitude is on target here. What is Moveon doing other than replicating Wyrich's direct mail organizing for the Republicans and taking it to the Internet? And Brad is right about Soros too. We *could* be replicating what Moveon is doing but we lack the resources. We know about what works, but not having those resources to translate these techniques into reality means that we can't even get out of the starting gate.

The problem with many activists, anarchists and radicals is that they abhor money and doing fundraising. We can scam resources to some extent, but I see one of our chief obstacles to organizing better is lack of money.

I disagree with Brad's take on the June 5th demos--I assume that he is talking about ANSWER protests--because those demos are being organizing by a group that is no longer supported by the peace movement.

Chuck0