[lbo-talk] A 'Progressive Conference'

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 24 11:00:00 PDT 2004

Chuck0 wrote:

>I think that Brad's attitude is on target here. What is Moveon doing
>other than replicating Wyrich's direct mail organizing for the
>Republicans and taking it to the Internet?

That was massively successful. If that's "all" they're doing, it could have formidable long-term effects.

The right has beaten us on at least two important fronts - one, the sort of database building that Weyrich did, and two, getting radical ideas taken more seriously by the less radical. I was a right-winger in 1971, and you have no idea how marginal we were. Now, it's CW.

> And Brad is right about Soros too. We *could* be replicating what
>Moveon is doing but we lack the resources.

But MoveOn doesn't take that many resources. The Internet is massively cheaper than direct mail, and quicker and easier to automate. I'm surprised that you, given your role with the Infoshop website, would take this position.

Doug