[lbo-talk] A 'Progressive Conference'

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue May 25 09:41:16 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> I am not denying that there are very progressive elements in the US
> society - but these are relatively small and fragmented, concentrating
> mainly in the large coastal cities (Boston, New York, Washington DC,
> Sand Francisco) and on college campuses. Outside these areas - there is
> a different story, one nicely captured by HL. Mencken in is account of
> the Scopes trial (see below). I think his account still holds for most
> of the US outside the said urban centers.

This is an example of Old New Left thinking, which relates to why David Horowitz is obsessed with rotting out leftists on college campuses. Yes, there are radicals on campus, but most of us have nothing to do with unviersities.

And we are not small and fragmented. That's defeatist thinking. Just take a look at the number of U.S. cities with an active Indymedia. There are progressives all over the place! Perhaps we could organize better if certain coastal leftists got over their self-imposed marginalization. ;-)

Who's buying all of those Chomsky books then?

Chuck0