[lbo-talk] Robert Reich media blitz

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed May 26 07:52:10 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 09:41 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> It's looking like elite opinion may be turning against Bush. The
> instant analyses of his Monday night speech were fairly hostile. The
> Council on Foreign Relations was more than polite to Ralph Nader. And
> now, as JW reports, even uber-liberal Reich is now getting wide
> exposure. It's beginning to feel like 1992, when elite opinion turned
> against Daddy Bush.

The Bush bleat (call that a speech?) indeed fell very flat -- the WH press office didn't even dare ask the networks to carry it because they knew the nets would turn them down, and no pundits I saw found anything in it of greater importance that the impressive make-up job that was done on the Maximum Leader's abraded face. The Washington Post is now openly ridiculing him.

It's beginning to feel not only like 1992 but like the latter days of Watergate. There seems to be a general feeling arising that it's not worth impeaching the guy, because it's much easier just to dispose of him in November. At least, that opinion is becoming pretty general among what you call "elite opinion" -- let's hope it is shared by the masses.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile