[lbo-talk] Democracy Now 5/26

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 13:50:53 PDT 2004

Actually Doug, so blinded are you by your bias against me that you make an argument I have not made, certainly not in my last post. The view that the neo-cons used (rather than engineered) the 9-11 attacks as a pretext to further their imperial designs is a passe view, which is expounded by Chalmer Johnson, Rahul Mahajan, Chomsky, and indeed by even Berlet on DN! this morning et al. Using an event as a pretext, is different from having necessaril;y engineered it. It is also passe that the Bush admin. had foreknowledge of the event, which is consistent with the opportunism theory.

and the pipeline is not fantastic see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1984459.stm

The point you base your attempt at sarcasm on, that elements of the US government may have been complicit in the planning and execution of the events of 9-11 in order to further aforesaid imperial plans, is one that certainly has been argued, but not as crudely as you put it. That is, the argument has been *complicity* with elements unknown - i.e Al Qaeda, as opposed to the whol pot having been hatched in the White House. It is easy to smugly dismiss what is obviously a very complex pattern of events, with evidentiary triibutaries leading in all kinds of directions. If you all dispise Bush so much, why are you giving succor to his ludicrous conspiracy theory that has Osama coordinating a complex terror attack on America froma cave in Afghanistan? Even Michael Moore, who has been well received in these quarters, has said that the 9-11 attacks, given the precision with which they were carried out resembled more a 'military' atack than a crude 'terrorist' attack and Moore speculated that element of the Saudi military may have been involved and said that the alleged pilots, geven the skill they displayed could not have been trained at some rinky dink flight school in Florida. I have not heard Moore dismissed as a conspiray theorist even though he implicates the Saudis and suggests that the Bush adminstration is cravenly obligated to them. Can you say 'hypocrisy'?

p.s. what better example of dittoheadism than the posts by other people on this thread, which substitute smug sarcasm for honest dialog and analysis.