[lbo-talk] A 'Progressive Conference' & car ownership

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 04:43:56 PDT 2004

This may be what I miss most about NYC, not being car dependent. Not owning a car is next to impossible in so many parts of the country. It's really disheartening to see people spend money keeping a beat-up unsafe car running because there is no viable alternative for them. With a decent alternative they could spend those funds elsewhere. I know many would not but many would like the option.

John Thornton --- Amen. I haven't driven a car in almost a decade. One mega-bonus of being where I am is that you can get anywhere in Moscow from anywhere else in about 40 minutes. (This seems to be some kind of physical constant that is not dependent on actual distance between points A and B.)

It's also practically free. Hell, 80% of the time they don't ask you to pay on the bus.