[lbo-talk] Democracy Now 5/26

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 17:54:25 PDT 2004

Dennis Redmond:

>Immiseration? Vietnam has continuously boomed since
>1985 -- despite a US trade embargo, no war
>reparations, and the cutoff of aid from the USSR
>after 1990.

GDP grew, but not for want of US efforts to the contrary: 1975 US embargo extended hugely after 1979, Jackson-Vanik silliness and refusal of diplomatic relations, etc. I mean trade wasn't normalized until just a few years ago. It's not like Vietnam asked for this out of feelings of mortification. It was punitive, pure and simple.

How much more impressive would the gains you cite be if VN weren't subjected to the above?