[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Nov 2 07:36:17 PST 2004

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> If Microsoft tells the average computer user they're "adding value",
> many are inclined to believe because they're unaware of the many ways
> Redmond acts as a gatekeeper and hindrance to development.
>
> Open source adepts - not all of whom are code gods and goddesses - have
> the analytical tools needed to dissect these claims.
>
> This kind of sharp skepticism comes from participation in the productive
> process as a full-on creator. Again, this is easier with software than
> subway systems and hydroelectric dams but to whatever extent possible
> the information exchange and peer review model should be applied far and
> wide.

amen! further, look at the evolution of the internet. it comes not just from the standardization of a simple (as opposed to OSI) set of *open* protocols, around which applications could be built, shared, and extended by a community. the open source community is a vital element of open standards and keeping the resulting intellectual "property" (ideas, implementations, technologies) in the public space.

> In other words, I see open source as the seed of a participatory model
> (again, mostly at the level of understanding and information sharing -
> with production occurring where possible) of citizenship in a
> technological society.

"participatory model of citizenship"!!! dawn, dawg, that's what i was going for! ;-)

--ravi