[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali Endorses Kerry . . . fortheBattlegroundStates

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Nov 2 11:40:07 PST 2004

The first step that a really clear-minded leftist would do is to learn to look at the world through the eyes of that most despised person, the average, not-so-brilliant American. That view of the world is very different, indeed poles apart from, that of Nader, Camejo, Cobb, and other Greenies. But unless you can understand that world-view, you will never understand how to appeal to the mass of Americans in a way that will win their support.

^^^^^^^^ CB: Yes, however I would advise being honest from the start. We go in trying to learn more precisely and accurately how the "average" people are thinking now , but from the start we know we want to change their minds. We don't go in with the idea that they are going to get us to think like them.

Also, we already know significantly how Americans think. We are not as out of touch with "non-intellectual" America as we sometimes describe ourselves. Most of the people I know are "average" Americans. I already know much of their thinking, what makes them tick. The big task is to figure out how to move them from where they are to the left. Why should they listen to me ? They think of me as a little "smarter" than them, but not as "knowing" more than they do about life.