[lbo-talk] Re: Tariq Ali Reiterates

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 13:12:17 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/2/04 10:32:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org writes:

> Is it the case that the Dems have simply followed where the
> Republicans have led? Is David McReynolds simply dreaming up his
> assessment?
>
> Do you really think it makes no damn difference whether Bush or Kerry
> wins -- and that's what's available isn't it?
>
> Put it differently, if Kerry loses, don't you think that the net
> result will be another major rightward shift in the overall tone of
> American politics, and world politics? And will that really enhance
> the likelihood of the rise of a third party, or of any alternative
> politics? Has Alan Murray in the WSJ put his finger on something?
>
> Or is your underlying position that a Bush win will somehow
> radicalise American and world politics? Or that imperial advisor
> Niall Ferguson is right that a Bush win might result in a long period
> in exile for the republicans -- his comparison with Thatcher and the
> Tories? Or that Marc Cooper is right, that this is just a routine
> election?
>
> Finally, cast the way you have, any outcome, whatever, will be a
> victory for Bush's policies -- the occupation of Iraq is a reality,
> and has become a framework for policy, any state's policy! Even if
> there were a truly left candidate for president, and that person won,
> s/he would still have to take that as the framework. The genie's out
> of the bottle, and it now has to be dealt with, like it or not -- and
> whether out of imperial ambitions or plain concern for its
> consequences on the victims, the Iraqis, it can no longer be a simple
> cut-and-run, can it?
>
> kj khoo

I don't think Kerry will stay in Iraq due to any concern for Iraqis. He will stay to avoid the spectacular humiliation for the American imperialists if they're driven out by the Iraqi resistance. The latter would be delighted to see the US "cut and run." So would I, and so should any leftist worthy of the name. But Kerry wouldn't, which is why he will escalate the repression in response to rising resistance. He may try to get France and Germany to foot more of the bill for this effort, and take more of the casualties. Whether he succeeds or not (and he probably won't), will this make things any better for the Iraqis? Would it be any better in your view? -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20041102/8ce7c97c/attachment.htm>