[lbo-talk] Green defection

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 2 14:03:07 PST 2004

> Horton Sheff Exits Green Party
> City Councilwoman Chooses Unaffiliated Status
> By OSHRAT CARMIEL
> Courant Staff Writer

> She said the party's agenda was not reflective of the issues that her
> constituents in Hartford find important.
>
> "I'm working on grandparents raising grandchildren. They're working
> on `runoff voting.' I'm working on civil rights, their focus is
> Palestinian rights," she said Wednesday.

That pretty much reflect the situation in Baltimore as well. We had a few Green candidates for various local positions - but the ones I had a chance to listen to were the biggest political goofballs I've seen for some time, a gang that cannot put a coherent public speech together. Truly embarrassing.

I waited in line for about 40 minutes right behind a group of Black women with whom I had a conversation. They did not even know the Green party name, even though they could correctly identify the libertarians and the constitution parties (an ultra right wing outfit that splits the Repug vote in MD).

I voted strictly for Democratic candidates all the way. One party state? Perhaps, thanks to the Greens and their goofiness extraordinaire.

Wojtek