[lbo-talk] Pray to Puff Daddy

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Nov 2 22:32:11 PST 2004

At 10:00 PM 11/2/2004, you wrote:
>It's almost assuredly over.

it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. unless you're expecting kerry to be the coward gore is.

goldwater came before reagan, and the presidency of nixon. the lessons of goldwater's failed campaign -- barry had an admirable penchant for telling the truth as he saw it -- taught the republicans they couldn't win without chronically lying.

nixon was essentially a hold over from the 1950s who simply refused to quit; mr red baiter, paranoid darling of the right. he won largely because LBJ refused to support hubert humphrey until it was too late. add the fact the "left" and generally the grass roots didn't like hube much more than it liked LBJ -- the left was a factor in those pre-DLC days -- and you have fundamental reasons hube lost. the left called hube "hube the pube." that should give you some idea of the respect it bore for LBJ's VP.

nevertheless, people belatedly rallied to hube when they realized the alternative really was the hated nixon. but it was too late all the way around. the only ones who learned from this experience were the far right: they learned winning elections means constantly lying, and planning 365/4 years, not just once every four years.

thank the democratic party you had no viable left dem. they're extinct, except for a very few remote examples with nowhere else to go, clinging to existence in a rapidly disappearing niche by their fingernails.

don't apologize; don't look back; organize.