[lbo-talk] Re: a vision... (or revisions?)

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Wed Nov 3 09:02:22 PST 2004

Actually statistically - based on past performance - you had to have been in the top 20% before you could have expected any real economic benefit from this crowd. This means family income of almost $150,000 (2003 dollars) or a net worth of almost $1 1/2 million (in 200l). [Anyone out there checking their bank balance?] And really only the top 10% of the country have seen any serious benefit from U.S. neo-liberalism in the last 20 years.

But why are we going down this path? We really don't know how passionately people feel about the potential "economic" issues (vs. the "values" issues) because the economic issues have not really been put to them (at least in a sustained way that most of them would see as credible). That is really the point of these election returns.

Only a tiny subset of "economic" issues were put on the table (in only vague ways and by people who have a track record of acting against the majority's interests in the far larger economic issues). Some people responded to even this weak stimulus; others fell back to the "values" -- in the absence of something more moving. It could well be the values issues could be swamped by a serious effort to offer a bigger vision.

Paul

Jon wrote:
>It seems clear that the Left (both inside and outside the DP) will be out
>of commission for quite a few years until it can figure out how to
>neutralize the "values" issues (conservative religion, homophobia (reduced
>but still active), "pro-life," etc.).

Doug replied: