[lbo-talk] a vision...

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Wed Nov 3 10:06:34 PST 2004

At 10:23 am -0500 3/11/04, snit snat wrote:
>At 10:09 AM 11/3/2004, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>>One way to pursue is to work toward greater sovereignty of individual states
>>and eventual breakup of the federal entity or perhaps reconstituting it more
>>like a loose confederation of sovereign states - similar to EU. That might
>>also entail introduction of proportional representation on the state level.
>
>[snipped]
>Anyway, I also think your idea will prompt civil war. E.g., let's
>say the Bush reigh continues and they select dickweed here in
>limpdick to run in 2008. It wouldn't surprise me--they'd have the
>cahones. So, dickweed tries to take the country to war and NYers
>vote and say, up yours. We're not helping. Imagine.

In the WSJ of 2 Nov, Alan Murray concluded his column with:

"Historian Eric Foner says in some respects, the current turbulence resembles the period before the Civil War when evangelical Christianity was surging, the media was intensely partisan, and civil institutions were breaking down. The arguments then weren't just over slavery, but also over separation of church and state and whether the mail should be delivered on Sunday. And, of course, it ultimately took a war to reconcile them.

Let's hope it doesn't take a war this time. But it will take extraordinary leadership. A house this divided cannot stand."

kj