[lbo-talk] Not a Referendum on Bush, Notwithstanding the ABB Hype

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 3 10:17:21 PST 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>No, it wasn't a referendum on Bush.

The stats you posted don't make that case. Kerry voters mostly voted against Bush, and not for Kerry. Bush voters voted for Bush more than they voted against Kerry. That sure looks like a Y/N on Bush to me.

> Only the silly AnybodyButBush brigade, who are a minority of the US
>population

And what are Nader voters, who rang up a seriously impressive 0.3% of the pop vote, a tenth of the 2000 share? The nucleus of a transformative movement?

Lots of people may be with us on the issues, but they don't vote that way. Their higher cerebral functions say they're for national health insurance and internationalism; their ids vote for Bush.

We all need to do some thinking - you included.

Doug