[lbo-talk] No, actually, I don't believe it.

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Wed Nov 3 12:40:42 PST 2004

Michael Dawson wrote:

<< Are votes stolen and our voting procedures awful? Yes, but that wasn't it in 2000, nor this time. >>

Do you mean elections as they reflect larger and more important forms of social organization, or elections as I mean them here, as in, who gets to take office in any given January?

If the latter, then, yes, electoral fraud was "it" in 2000; it may not have decided things this year, but if systematic vote fraud and vote suppression is being normalized, as I suspect it might, then it should be fought. And this is irrespective of how it might change Kerry's vote.

Because if nothing else there are going to be other elections. Right? Unless one just wants to drop the whole electoral-constitutional route anyway. (In which case I would suggest not writing to an open list.)

I'm sorry now for passing along my probably feverish reaction to a CNN exit poll. Better to go back to Joanna's original point--this election just doesn't make sense. Sea changes as indicated here (record turnout pushes through a Republican takeover) actually don't happen all that often. Look, maybe a majority of the people of the United States did in fact go out of their way, in the most logistically difficult election I've ever seen (did everybody bring their ID? and so why do we bother with registration?), and very actively and systematically voted against their own self-interest and the interests of their class. Maybe the people of this massive empire have finally given up on the Enlightenment--hey, it's been a long time coming--and are truly operating at some delusional symbolic level, and the Republican Party has gained complete control of the levers of government legitimately, at least by the rules of liberal democracy. Maybe my fears of electoral fraud are in a way just misplaced optimism.

But if so, then the analyses and suggested actions of everyone on this list, from the most ardent "ABB" to Leninists-for-Nader, are totally inadequate to the task at hand.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "Michael Dawson" <MDawson at pdx.edu> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:10:39 -0800