[lbo-talk] Re: No, actually, I don't believe it.

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 3 13:01:01 PST 2004

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:28:30 -0500
> From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] No, actually, I don't believe it.
> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>

[...]

> There are many things we all need to do better as progressives, especially
> engaging the religious population in a vigorous and respectful way that
> will pull them away from the Bush-GOP embrace. That takes real organizing
> over years, not just rhetoric from a candidate, so that's a big project for
> progressives to take on in coming years. There are groups working on it,
> but they are underfunded and not strongly supported, so that needs to
> change.

I agree - which groups are you referring to?

I think I'm so out of touch of with the American electorate that I don't want to say what Kerry should or should not have done - what the hell do I know? But the one thing that continually drove me crazy was the complete absence of any suggestion that maybe Bush wasn't actually that concerned about democracy in Iraq and that the members of his administration had no history of such a concern and indeed just the opposite. And it was just too much when Cheney mentioned the elections in El Salvador as his model. I realize 99% of the electorate doesn't care about El Salvador, but what would have been the response if Edwards had said, "Your ticket is supposed to be the one about moral values. But you just made clear that your vision of democracy is one of death squads and raping and killing nuns." I'm dreaming, I know.