[lbo-talk] Re: No, actually, I don't believe it.

DSR debburz at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 13:35:47 PST 2004

--- Nathan Newman wrote:

> So there is a basis for alliances on key issues, if not on all
> policies,
> but a vigorous engagement on the issues we share may make many
> individual
> members consider whether voting to stop a marriage between two
> loving men
> is more important than a vigorous policy of ending poverty at home
> and
> abroad.

A huge basis for alliance was squandered early on when the DP and the Left did not take advantage of the considerable number of conservatives that split with the Bush administration over the Patriot Act, so much so that you saw Dick Armey and Bob Barr joining forces with the ACLU.

These opportunities were squashed, wasted or consciously ignored.

- Deborah