[lbo-talk] Modernity, and its many, many enemies

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 06:31:55 PST 2004

>From: Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com>
>
>When I was a kid and imagined the 2000s, a specific vision entered my head:
>glittering tech, rational, you might even say technocratic government, and
>a whole new set of interesting, uniquely modern problems. Science fiction
>novels taught me to expect problems - I didn't imagine a perfect world -
>but the problems would be of a very new sort.
>
>I didn't imagine anyone would be arguing over "moral values". I didn't
>imagine anyone would be arguing about Gay rights. I didn't imagine...well,
>let's just say I didn't imagine a man would be able to get away with all
>Dubya has been able to get away with by waving the twin magic wands of
>"resoluteness in the face of terror" in one hand and "my faith guides me"
>in the other...

Yes, when I was kid and imagined the 21st century, I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

[Take it away, Cardinal Ximinez (Michael Palin)] "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

The Monty Python version is more entertaining than Bush's.

Carl