[lbo-talk] Pacifists for the War Prez

Duncan M. Clark dclark at ptd.net
Thu Nov 4 09:01:37 PST 2004

On Thursday, November 4, 2004 at 10:08:25 AM, Jon Johanning wrote:

> But as I predicted, our Philly vote swamped them (and together with the
> Pittsburgh and other urban vote, the whole middle of the state). PA, at
> least, managed to come through for the good guys.

Yeah, Philly looms large in the tormented mind of the local shitkicker. Thanks!

Sadly, though, the horse-&-buggies that pass my door are sounding less charming today.

To reverse your swamp metaphor: out here in the christ-haunted bogs, I counted 100+ BC04 and maybe 75 Clymer (Constitution Party) lawn signs in the 15 min. drive between here and the turnpike, vs. 2 Kerry/Edwards.

All reasons why I spent the day in H'burg as a poll monitor in a mostly-minority precinct, where it was pretty much a 13-hr. Kerry rally - people cruising the neighborhood doing freestyle GOTV raps from the back of a flatbed pickup, spontaneous F 9/11 discussion groups, busful of middle schoolers hanging out the windows chanting KER-REE! KER-REE!. Suspicious percentage of provisional ballots, but no overt Repug thuggery.

Unlike my block - my homemade "Re-defeat Bush" sign (amidst a dozen BC04 signs) lasted 5 days, and someone beat the shit out of sign #2 in the wee hrs of Nov. 3 and left it a crumpled mess. Because, as my gf said, it's not enough to win - they must crush you.

-- Best regards,

DMC mailto:dclark at ptd.net