[lbo-talk] Stupid Elections, Leftist Cowards

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:25:13 PST 2004

Shane Mage:
> that the fix was in *his* favor? But really, how could
> anyone have imagined that this Designated Loser was
> really contesting an election when, in the first debate,
> he was asked why people should believe he would do as
> well as Ubu in a 9/11 situation--and instead of delivering
> a knockout punch by starting with "Well, you know, I
> couldn't possibly have done worse, and neither could any
> of you watching this debate right now" and going on to

Edwards screwed that even more when asked why he should be a VP, given his inexperience. Instead of delivering a populist line of the American tradition of ordinary people becoming political leaders (cf. Lincoln) and then following that "experience" did not prevent Cheney from shortchanging people for wealthy corporations - he mumbled a non-remarkable non-answer. This was probably the most disappointing moment in the whole debate.

I think, however, that Kerry did reasonably well in the debates. What did him in was the promise of reversing the tax cut for the $200k income bracket. That must have scared the living shit out of all software engineers, two-bit entrepreneurs, and kindred professionals who either already rake in more than 200 grand a year or hope to do so in the future. Bad mistake. He should have been more vague on this point.

Wojtek