[lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Nov 4 12:27:47 PST 2004

Yes, you can amend the constitution to gut the equal protection claims that this suit might raise. If these folks win in any federal court, I am sure a constitutional amendment will be passed and no gay marriage will be possible in this country for another generation. Having helped energize the religious right across the country by the decision in Massachusetts, this kind of litigation can be a wonderful tool for Karl Rove to keep his troops mobilized over the next four years.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Dawson" <MDawson at pdx.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 2:59 PM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

This is a great effort. Can you amend the constitution to make it contradict itself? I suppose you might be able to, since the Great Document originally said black people = 3/5.

Any lawyers out there with a knowledge of this issue? What are the plaintiffs' chances?

If they're good, I'll file the same suit here in Oregon. I'm not gay, but I still demand my right to choose my next (oh-so-lucky) spouse.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of BklynMagus Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 11:40 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

Dear List:

Nathan won't like it, but heck, his method imploded, so we need a Plan B.

http://nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Okla-Gay-Marriage-Ban.html

Brian Dauth Quuer Buddhist Resister