[lbo-talk] Flash: Arafat Reported Clinically Dead (Reuters)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 4 17:18:20 PST 2004

> > I'm stating the facts as I see them. If you disagree, explain why. In any
>> case, Arafat has been politically dead for some time, confined to his
>> battered headquarters for more than two years. Did you do anything to
>> change that before he fell ill?
>> --
> > Yoshie
>
>You were not stating any facts, you made no arguments or criticism,
>just self aggrandizing missives. Listen, you made an immature post.
>You don't give a shit about whether or not I gave blood to the
>Palestinian cause at home or abroad. What you care about is
>grinding your ABB axe...full stop. In this you mimic D. Pipes.
>
>Travis

The Palestinian people don't care if we mourn or don't mourn the death of Arafat, nor do their conditions improve if we do. What matters is what we do here, and in this respect, many activists' absorption into electing John Kerry, which rendered a local Palestinian solidarity organization, as well as many others nationwide, dormant until recently does make a difference. There was no way activists could raise the matter of solidarity with Palestinians under the Israeli occupation prominently in the course of campaigning for John Kerry. I've posted Naseer Aruri's view about the matter here: <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20041025/024555.html>.

The same goes for politics in Israel/Palestine, in which the Labor Party, a partner with the Democratic Party, plays the role akin to the Democratic Party's in the United States. Cf. Yitzhak Laor, "The Tears of Zion," _New Left Review_ 10, July-August 2001. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>