[lbo-talk] mourn

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 5 09:44:49 PST 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

>But doesn't organizing also imply thinking hard about *how* to
>organize? Every successful organizing effort I've taken part in or
>observed took a lot of careful thought to plan. It's not just
>mindlessly charging out into the streets, Yoshie-style. :-)

Hey, Yoshie isn't mindless. I don't agree with her a lot of the time, but she's got some candlepower behind her.

But it's not just about thinking about how to organize - it's about thinking about organizing to what end. A lot of American activists are pretty weak on that part. And in this specific post-election case - organize whom? How? With what goal? Just keep on keeping on, or do a fundamental rethink?

Doug