[lbo-talk] mourn

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Nov 5 10:07:29 PST 2004

But it's not just about thinking about how to organize - it's about thinking about organizing to what end. A lot of American activists -are pretty weak on that part. And in this specific post-election case - organize whom? How? With what goal? Just keep on keeping on, or do -a fundamental rethink?

Let's work with the group of religious folks who say this in their electoral manifesto:

"God identifies with the poor (Ps. 146:5-9), and says that those who "are kind to the poor lend to the Lord" (Prov. 19:17), while those who oppress the poor "show contempt for their Maker" (Prov. 14:31). Jesus said that those who do not care for the needy and the imprisoned will depart eternally from the living God (Matt. 25:31-46). The vulnerable may include not only the poor, but women, children, the aged, persons with disabilities, immigrants, refugees, minorities, the persecuted, and prisoners. God measures societies by how they treat the people at the bottom. . . .

We further believe that care for the vulnerable should extend beyond our national borders. American foreign policy and trade policies often have an impact on the poor. We should try to persuade our leaders to change patterns of trade that harm the poor and to make the reduction of global poverty a central concern of American foreign policy. We must support policies that encourage honesty in government, correct unfair socioeconomic structures, generously support effective programs that empower the poor, and foster economic development and prosperity."

Who said this? The National Association of Evangelicals, the major association of Baptists and conservative Christian churches.

This is the part of religious faith that the Bush types rarely say and where we have lots of common ground with the passionate Christian types.

Let me suggest a good place to start -- okay, it's where I already spend most of my day-to-day time-- but campaigns to raise the wages of the poor a nd provide them health care is a place where the left and many religious types can find lots of common cause. And just working together day-to-day is the first step in building deeper alliances over time.

Nathan Newman