[lbo-talk] US Marines bring democracy and mercy to Iraqis

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 09:57:48 PST 2004

Doug:

Word is that the assault on Fallujah could begin as soon as tomorrow...

=======

Yes.

I've been observing this very closely because I'm convinced a lava flow of trouble will follow closely on the heels of this massacre.

A good friend, a Marine, says that his contacts tell him many Iraqi pros (ex Republican guard, and other special forces types, along with hard bitten vets of the Iran/Iraq war) have gathered in Fallujah to make the conquerers incursion as spectacularly bloody as possible. They know that air power only goes so far: you must walk the streets to claim control. And once the Americans are walking (or cruising in M1s) down the shattered streets the game changes.

There's a feeling of armageddon, or perhaps, more appropriately, gotterdammerung in the air. That may be overly dramatic but often such things have a way of becoming self fulfilled prophecy.

We haven't seen anything yet.

.d.