[lbo-talk] Some Leftists Draw All The Wrong Lessons

Brad Mayer gaikokugo at fusionbb.net
Fri Nov 5 17:45:10 PST 2004

The DP is like a rusty, dull saw which is the only tool available to perform a vital carpentering job; if we can't sharpen it up or get a better tool, we just have to get the best results we can with it. --------------------------------------------------------------------- JJ, you know at some point a worn out old tool becomes so worn as to be defective and a danger to its user. At some point the saw blade's going to come off and cut your head off. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The bottom line, it seems to me, is that the center of gravity of US politics at this point is in the "red" states (ironic, isn't it, that "red" used to mean "radical left"?). Though I am safely cocooned in a very blue area right now, I was born and raised in Indiana, so I know something about that part of the country. Everything that happens for the next few years, at least, will be governed by that mass of southern, middle-western, and western states. Leftists of all types, moderate and radical, will have to figure out how to penetrate that mass and chip off at least a substantial part of it. Building up the labor movement would be a big help, but we know how paralyzed that movement is today, don't we? --------------------------------------------------------------------- Yes let the self-flagelletion begin. Lets blame Michael Moore and Hollywood, and lets follow Clinton and pander to reactionary "moral values".

What about OUR moral values?

Look, this 30% that voted for Bush is the same bunch more or less that voted for Reagan in '84. Little has changed here (except that we've wasted 20 years), because this rightwing bunch DOESN'T WANT TO CHANGE. That is what they are all about - stop the world I want to get off. These hopeless provincials have put it quite adamantly that they don't WANT to know about the outside world! They aren't stupid - they are quite aware that helpful leftists are trying to inform them of the outside world, and that is what offends them. They are saying: Read My Lips - I Don't Want To Know.

So, unless you are an Elect or Die Democrat, these are the very last people we need to be concerned with. This reactionary bloc needs to be broken up and defeated, not pandered to. You won't do that with the Democrats, who with their (for them necessary) pandering, only insulate these provincials from world reality and perpetuate them in their ignorant existence. The Dems are their necessary insulation around their rightwing cocoon.

We should be much more concerned about the 70% of the population that DID NOT vote for the Chimp, including the millions in the so-called "red" states who voted against him.

Why not them? If getting Democrats elected is your priority, well that's why.

Decision time for Leftists: Either decide to be a conscious saboteur, or stand up for what you really believe.

-Brad Mayer