[lbo-talk] Frank on election

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 23:18:23 PST 2004

>Guest wrote:
>
>> everyone I know here in Taiwan sincerely believes in ghosts, and not
>> in some abstract, half serious way. They take active measures to
>> guard against spiritual attacks in daily life. I never saw anything
>> remotely like it in America.

What about Iceland, which reportedly reads more books per capita than any other nation and where over half the population believe in skottas (female ghosts), móris (male ghosts), afturganga (zombies), and huldufolk ("hidden folk" who stay invisible unless they're in the mood to materialize)? One Web source says that "of all the spirit world, huldufolk are the most like humans, except they are inevitably more beautiful, talented, and charming" (which would actually seem to indicate they are not like humans at all). In any event, on a major Iceland road project a few years ago a huldufolk expert had to be called in to placate a settlement of huldufolk who were being discommoded by the project and allegedly causing equipment breakdowns.

Conclusion: Those long, dark Icelandic nights take their toll.

Carl