[lbo-talk] Barack Obama

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 7 07:19:16 PST 2004

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> is religion now the litmus test for the secular left? not poverty,
> class, civil liberties, justice, but religion?

Oh shit!

We've gone over this time after time on this list and still these cliches show up.

Most leftists (and I mean anti-DP as well as DP leftists) get along very well with xtians. About every two or three years in my classes I would have a xtian student who felt very bad because he/she really liked me but thought I was going to hell; and the local depression-support group is overwhelmingly xtian & I get along with them will. Most of the red leftist I have met around the nation for 35 years also get along very well with xtians.

This talking about leftists insulting xtians is boring bullshit which preempts more interesting conversation.

The trouble with Barack Obama is that he is one more essentially reactionary democrat wrapped in a little liberal rhetoric, not that he's a xtian. And he won't be the first University of Chicago professor who is at home in the vest pocket of the Kelly-Nash....Daley...Daley machine.

Carrol