[lbo-talk] Barack Obama/Christianity

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 10:26:21 PST 2004

So, you think that Obama and Clinton are just lying about their faith?

Btw, my Cambridge advisor Mary Hesse, one of leading philosophers of science of the last century, was a devout Anglican. When I expressed ridicule for the theory of American philosopher Donald Davidson that most of anyone's beliefs must be true as a sort of a priori condition of understanding them at all, she said to me, That's one area where Christians and Marxists can agree. (It took me a minute to realize that she was talking about original sin.)

I don't call myself a Marxist anymore, btw.

I think you are drawing on an unrepresentative pool. Most people in this country, including most educated and intelligent people, are religious, and specifically Christian. And blacks more than whites by a significant margin. The poll data will support me on this, I think, right, Doug?

Anyway, don't be disingenuous. You were not making a statistical remark that was neutral about what people ought to believe. You were implying that if you were smart and well-educated, you would not be a Christian because anyone with half a brain can see that it's a crock of superstition -- Christianity is for the stupid and ignorant, you suggest. And you believe it too, I bet. If you don't, better watch how you talk -- it will be misinterpreted.

jks