[lbo-talk] Re: obama-rama-lama, no ding dong

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Mon Nov 8 14:59:34 PST 2004

"am I the only one who was not particularly impressed by him?" (michael perelman)

nope...was totally underwhelmed by his keynote speech, much of which could have been said by bush...and maybe was, though i didn't read that one...

by the way, keynoters frequently produce a kind of collective orgasmic response, partly because that's what the job calls for...as in, we are a great nation, we strive to do good, especially for one another, and we fight for freedom and justice and bla bla bla...

mario cuomo produced an equally "electrifying" keynote at the 1984 convention, to be followed by jesse jackson's much better, more substantial, if at times platitudinal, call to a feel-good-about-doing-good nation...

we really are nice people, and these speeches occur at times when we are most programmed to "feel" them, and in the case of a light skinned black local hero - who had the competition (?) of lots of wooden white types, obama had it made...

strikes me as same old same old, though a slightly better lesser evil than....um...oh well...he'll be willing to kill for peace and bring even more lefties and peaceniks with him?

fs