[lbo-talk] Re: God and Reason

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 14:59:38 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/8/04 9:21:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org writes:

Jon Johaniing wrote:

> I would say that intelligent believers simply make a choice, conscious
> or not, not to push their skeptical rational activities into areas that
> would shake their faith. After all, we all have the ability to choose
> what to think about and what not to.

Official Catholic doctrine has always held that the teachings of the church must be accepted on faith. Even Christendom's greatest thinkers--from Anselm to Acquinas, with their famous proofs, ontological and cosmological, for the existence of God--taught that these arguments could only bolster the faith of believers and perhaps help to convert heathens, but should never be considered an independent basis for belief. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20041108/f78b8a27/attachment.htm>