[lbo-talk] Christianity

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:37:05 PST 2004

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>Carl, there is a venerable tradition of rather amusing
>and even very funnu free-thinking and irreligiosity
>going back to Hume's dryly hysterical essay On
>Miracles, Voltaire's Candide, and Paine's The Age of
>Rewson. And of course Twain. Not to mention Nietzsche.
>My experience in Ohio was that that literature iis
>still liberating for some people from fundie
>backgrounds. But it's best when it's funny -- mockery
>is the right mode for the critique of religion. If
>youa sk me, which you didn't, your stuff is too
>serious and sounds too defensive. jks

I don't know what's wrong with my funnybone these days, jks. I look at the news this morning and it's a laff-riot, yet I find myself oddly mirthless:

Item: "Warplanes have bombed a government clinic in the centre of Falluja [where at least 100,000 civilians are trapped] as US ground forces engaged in pitched battles with fighters defending the city."

Item: "'I got myself a real juicy target,' shouted Sgt James Anyett [participating in the assault on Falluja] .... A dozen loud booms rattle the sky and smoke rose as mortars rained down on the co-ordinates the sergeant had given. 'Yeah,' he yelled. 'Battle Damage Assessment - nothing. Building's gone. I got my kills, I'm coming down. I just love my job.'"

Item (which I posted earlier): "The knives are out, all right, [in the Administration] but it isn't for the neocons: instead, it is the 'realists' who are falling on their own swords."

Boffo stuff. Not since the Marx Brothers were in full stride has there been so much hellzapoppin' hilarity around -- and all because a pack of Bible Belt maniacs hijacked the country. So where-oh-where has my sense of humor gone?

You're right; I didn't ask you for advice. But I shall certainly consult you on comedic matters in the future. Your posts are consistently the funniest on the LBO list <suitable emoticon here>.

Carl