[lbo-talk] My reply to Katha Pollitt

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 9 10:02:59 PST 2004

This is the note that I hope was tongue in cheek, if only for your echoing of Thatcher's "There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families."

The first sentence of your letter is just backwards. There's more than a "shred of evidence ... that 'the people' will [choose] a progressive agenda if given a chance, but the leadership seldom gives them that chance." A recent shred is the latest version of the Chicago Council of Foreign Relations' long-term survey. I posted part of a summary by Chomsky, who points out that "Often the issues that are most on people's minds don't enter at all clearly into the debate":

"A considerable majority of Americans favour 'working within the United Nations, even when it adopts policies that the United States does not like.' Most Americans also believe that 'countries should have the right to go to war on their own only if they (have) strong evidence that they are in imminent danger of being attacked,' thus rejecting the bipartisan consensus on 'pre-emptive war.'

"On Iraq, polls by the Program on International Policy Attitudes show that a majority of Americans favour letting the UN take the lead in issues of security, reconstruction and political transition in that country. Last March, Spanish voters actually could vote on these matters.

"It is notable that Americans hold these and similar views (say, on the International Criminal Court or the Kyoto Protocol) in virtual isolation: They rarely hear them in campaign speeches, and probably regard them as idiosyncratic. At the same time the level of activism for social change may be higher than ever in the US. But it's disorganised. Nobody knows what's happening on the other side of town..."

--CGE