[lbo-talk] My reply to Katha Pollitt

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 9 10:11:35 PST 2004

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>The first sentence of your letter is just backwards. There's more than a
>"shred of evidence ... that 'the people' will [choose] a progressive
>agenda if given a chance, but the leadership seldom gives them that
>chance." A recent shred is the latest version of the Chicago Council of
>Foreign Relations' long-term survey. I posted part of a summary by
>Chomsky, who points out that "Often the issues that are most on people's
>minds don't enter at all clearly into the debate":

It's not clear that stands on issues translate into votes for candidates. People may know with their higher cerebral functions that it's good to work with allies and show a decent respect for the opinions of mankind, but when it comes down to pushing a button or pulling a lever, the glands take over, and it's the lust to "exterminate the brutes" that wins.

Doug