[lbo-talk] Sandbox Politics

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 9 15:36:45 PST 2004

Just FYI, that passage is Yoshie's.

To my eye, winning some meaningful leftward shift of the DP is at least as plausible as getting the GP out of the swamp. I don't condemn either strategy. The DP did once house FDR. Wouldn't we all be thrilled with a new FDR? Not likely in the DP, but not in the GP, either, IMHO.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 2:49 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Sandbox Politics

Michael Dawson wrote:

>Even if any LBO-talk subscriber crafted a good message, the
>Democratic Party would not adopt and promulgate it, but, regardless,
>most LBO-talk subscribers appear uninterested in joining the Green
>Party (where they can conceivably make a measurable difference) or
>building a new one (if the Green Party withers after the 2004
>disaster).

I spent some time a few years ago trying to build the Labor Party. It was demoralizing to say the least. The Greens, as presently constituted, include some fine people (e.g. McReynolds, who isn't really a committed member) and some loons (names omitted to protect the innocent). I'm going to talk with McReynolds & his posse about what we could do in New York - but nationally, the GP is hopeless.