[lbo-talk] Everybody Knows...

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 10 06:22:45 PST 2004

Brad Mayer quoted:

> The ABB Logic of Retreat Has Been Discredited: Now We Must Advance
> - by M. Junaid Alam
> In the broadest sense, the Democratic Party dug its own grave. Its
constant
> slide to the right has finally backfired in two significant ways: one, it
> has alienated those potentially sympathetic to the left and receptive to
its
> values, who quite accurately see nothing in the party that reflects their
> own interests, and two, it prepared the conditions for the Republicans to
> court and cultivate far-right wing forces in the country, who have been
made
> acceptable by this overall rightward shift of the entire spectrum enabled
by
> the Democrats' strategy in the first place.

In plain English, the potentially left leaning voters, unhappy with the rightwing drift of Democrats, opted for an extreme right winger instead. The illogic of this argument is truly mind boggling. Some of us on this list were concerned about people yearning for fixity in a fluid world. The anti-reasoning above is beyond such irrational yearning - it is an acute case of denial of the most basic sense of reality.

When I said that the Left should put their heads together and create a "progressive narrative," I had in mind an inspiring utopia, not escape to delusions.

Wojtek